Ring my bell - chime in!

Monday, April 28, 2008

The daily grind

I was thinking of starting some kind of discussion thread instead of a usual post about what the family is up to. So I hope you'll leave a comment.

Here's my question. Today I have several big chores to get done, on top of the usual stuff I do around here (namely, cleaning out a fridge that has gone on the fritz and cleaning out a car that has to go in for maintenance tomorrow). I was wondering what daily tasks you don't mind, and what daily tasks you wished would accomplish themselves. Here's mine:
1. I really like folding laundry. I guess it's a lame creative outlet that makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something - folding things neatly in stacks and sorting things.
2. I really dislike putting away laundry (thus is stays on my bedroom floor for days and days).
3. I don't mind washing dishes (I can think or mindlessly listen to something while I do it).
4. I despise putting away dishes and emptying the dishwasher! (boring, tedious, and it takes forever!)
5. I like taking out the trash and recycling stuff - I like getting stuff out of here.

What are your likes and dislikes, and if you like doing something, post why you like it. Maybe it will motivate me or others who happen to dislike the job. Or share something funny about jobs you do. Just a thought - I'll be interested to see the results of the post. :)

12 comments:

anthonyandbeth said...

fun to see how everyone has their likes and dislikes about housework.
1. i like putting laundry in the washer, that always feels good, however i HATE to fold and put away laundry. that's clearly why my laundry is backed up most of the time. (i've already started to change some of my bad habits in this area b/c i hear the laundry really picks up with the third child.) i've tried doing it everyday, sorting by family member, every other day. can't seem to find a routine that doesn't make me hate it or make me feel like i'm doing it non-stop. anyone with any pointers out there???
2. i like loading and unloading the dishwasher. it makes me feel like i've at least accomplished something in the kitchen.
3. i like straightening the house. i like getting things put back where they belong. even if the house isn't completely "clean" it feels cleaner when things are put where they belong. i feel like my home and my attitude are completely out of control if the house is very cluttered with things that aren't where they should be.
4. if i could pick my favorite thing to do around the house it would be gardening. i LOVE to be outside planting, watering, whatever. i LOVE flowers and love the way it makes me feel to be ouside working in the yard. it's very peaceful, calming, relaxing and rewarding to me.

ok, that's all i can think of but i did enjoy thinking about these things. :)

Heather said...

1. I do NOT like to put laundry away...oh...or iron! I actually don't mind ironing, it's taking out the ironing board and iron that I don't like (they are hard to get to). I do like to fold clothes..nice, warm, good smelling clothes. I especially love to fold towels. I think if the girls had another dresser or more room I might like to put things away...my problem now is that there is not enough room and it frustrates me.
2. I love to dust. I love seeing something go from dusty to clean.
3. I like straightening up. I can't stand a messy environment and I think my mood is worse when it's a mess.
4. I love to organize. That is by far my favorite thing to do (I'm sure that's a big shocker:) The tupperware, utensils, cups, closets, cabinets...I love it all. I hate it when people mess it up...that makes me NOT want to do it again for a long time!! (WHich is the problem now!)
5. I HATE washing dishes, cleaning sinks, microwaves, and toilets. The thought of touching wet food or stuff that's been in someone's mouth gives me the heebie jeebies. Those jobs all fall to Brian. He knows the easiest way to gross me out is by touching the inside of the sink, then touching me...YUCK!!! I think the toilet thing is self explainatory.
6. I love to clean windows and mirrors...I think they are so nice once they're clean:)

The Hilemans said...

I don't really do this now, but when we lived in the townhouse with 2 kids, I always just did laundry on Mondays. It was an all day job, but at least I knew what my Mondays would look like! Now I feel like I could do several loads a day - and many days I do. It's just the putting away that I get stuck on. With the three kids, and with 2 of them being older and busier, I'm not sure I could do a laundry day anymore, but it might be interesting to try.

Library Belle said...

I'm on a list that a friend put together...about 10 of us (2+ are stay at home moms) share our chore lists, offer advice, and such. Let me know if you're interested in meeting us. :)

1. I really hate anything to do with laundry. This is mostly because I don't have w/d hookups in my apartment, and I'm at the mercy of the laundromat.
2. I don't really like the dishes, either, but I like a clean kitchen.
3. Making the bed and cleaning off the dining room table (where mail & such piles up) make the apartment feel spotless...ideally I would do those things daily.
4. Mostly, I don't mind doing anything when I don't let it pile up to be a monumental task. Like the filing and shredding I've been putting off for a couple months. Sigh.

Sherri said...

I detest all housework & only enjoy chores for the first few weeks after I have bought a new house.

These comments have the engineer in me thinking up cool inventions to help with the work we don't like. Instead of laundry shoots, let's start putting automated laundry sorting and conveyor systems like I worked with in tire plants. For those of us who don't like to fold, I could add a simple robot at the lift and load station to fold as well. Hum....better get to work on my project and then try to sell on QVC.

The Hilemans said...

I SOOOO want a laundry shoot addition when we finish the basement - straight down through the linen closet, coat closet, and ending neatly in a hamper in the basement laundry. One contractor thought he could do it. My dad the architect said it would probably not pass fire codes, creating a pathway for fire straight up through the house... So no basement laundry and no expanded kids bathroom. drat!

Janet said...

1) I like to vacuum and see those
line marks in the carpet.

2)I like to mop. I love clean floors.

3)I dislike dusting and it shows so please don't sneeze!

4)I like to pick up clutter and I function better when the house is picked up.

5)I absolutely love my job as a Mom. I am so WEIRD in that I just don't get the desire to "get away". These kiddos invigorate me and I only have them, on loan from God, for a few more years.

Ashley said...

Am I allowed to comment? I don't have kids, but I do chores!

1. I like sweeping, but I hate vacuuming because it hurts my back where I had surgery. Phillip hates sweeping and loves vacuuming. We made an agreement that I will always sweep if he always vacuums!

2. I like loading the dishwasher, but I don't like it when I go to load it and there are already clean dishes in there.

3. I like washing dishes, but not drying them.

4. I like the feeling of cutting the rings off a 6-pack of soda so that sea turtles don't die :)

5. I like dusting furniture and cleaning mirrors.

6. I like cleaning the bathroom counter, but Ben usually shaves and messes it up right afterward.

7. I hate the process of changing sheets, but I am always so happy after I do!

8. I like walking my dog, but I hate getting her moist dog food all over my fingers when I open the packets.

9. I love laundry. The only thing I don't like is pulling out the wet shirts that need to be hung up rather than thrown into the dryer.

Janet said...

You all may already know these tricks, but maybe it will help someone. I used to greatly dislike cleaning out the microwave and putting dishes away from the dishwasher. Then I read that you should put a glass cup of water in your microwave (you can add a lemon slice if you want) and microwave for 2-5 min. It will be steamy hot in there and the grime just melts away onto a washrag. Changed my outlook on cleaning a microwave.

The other was reading that I should
time myself when I put dishes away. When I saw that it really took only 5 minutes to put away - the article was right - it didn't seem like such a "daunting" task. Anybody can do anything for 5 minutes - right? Hope this helps someone. :)

Ashley said...

That 5-minute idea made me think about something similar I heard. When you come across a task that takes 30 seconds or less to complete(taking the time to put something away, hang something up, wipe something off, etc.), just do it right then. Otherwise, all of these little tasks pile up and become daunting!

anthonyandbeth said...

i love the 5 min. and 30 second challenges. i think that's the problem with me most of the time. my mindset. i think the task is overwhelming at that moment so i don't do it or say i'll do it later and then i have a million overwhelming things to do that i want to say i'll do it later to. need to just do things when they need to be done and it probably wouldn't take all that long. :)

The Hilemans said...

ok, so we all need to get little timers to set around the house for getting tasks done! I usually have so much laundry to fold, I dump it all on the floor, put on a 30-minute show and challenge myself to get it all folded before the show ends. It usually motivates me. I know I set timers for the kids all the time - for cleaning rooms, finishing dinner, etc., so I guess it makes sense that it would work for us too!