Let me just say that I am not really an introspective person. Geof takes care of all that in our relationship! But I just feel the need to have a bit of an introspective post, if for no other reason than to get some thoughts out of my head so I can see them. When I had Kellen, a little over 5 years ago, I thought that I would stay home with him until he went off to school, and then maybe I'd go back to work. Then Addie came and I said maybe when she goes to school. Then I was blessed with Ellary... and I now know that when she goes off to school, I don't want to go back to being a librarian. Since the beginning of the year I've really felt strongly that I need to use my talents in some productive way, and that if I go back to "work" it will be something I do with my artistic talents. Surprise surprise to my blog ladies, I think that I want to take pictures! So these last few months I've been pretty much driven to distraction with this idea. I had days when I would begrudge my work at home because it kept me from pursuing pictures. I have laid awake at night composing pictures in my head, and suffering for it the next day. I have parked the kids in front of Curious George so I could read a photog book.
All year long I have been studying Genesis, and the effects of the study on my life this year all came into perspective for me last night. Joseph has been the focus of study for the past few months, and God has really used his example to shed light on my situation. God has a plan for me. I know that. But God also has His own timing for me. Joseph knew that and did not begrudge his difficult situations. I need to know this. God has put me in this place (a home in the suburbs filled with little ones) in this time (when my little ones need me and my husband can provide for us), and being a mommy is what I am called to do right now. I am resting in that. I can wait patiently for God to provide me with opportunities to use my talents, and I can let go of doors God closes that I have so desperately tried to pull open. I am not idle, but I am patiently pursuing and listening. Looking back over the last month or so, I can see His provision now that I have let go of the lens and let Him change my life focus. God has given me one quiet hour each week when I can study while the kids are at the gym. God has provided for me to be on the photography corps at church. God has introduced me to another Christian mom who is also a graphic designer. God has given me friends who encourage me. And God has filled my days with work that keeps me focused on my most important duties - being a wife and mom.
So, my blog-o-sphere girlfriends, what did YOU do today? Here's what I did, and like Joseph, I can rejoice in knowing that each little detail was known by God to be part of his plan for me, no matter how mundane or seemingly burdensome, and that one day, a day like today will seem more precious to me than any picture I could ever take.
Today I woke up, showered, greeted a smiling baby in her crib, prepared 3 bowls of cereal, picked out clothes for 3 kids, packed lunches, drove to preschool, saw a bumblebee in a baggie, shopped for sand pails and shovels, bought surprise toys for my kids, puff-painted the names of 10 children on sand pails, played ball with a baby girl, kissed that baby to sleep, talked on the phone with 2 girlfriends, sent numerous meaningful emails, built three K'nex vehicles with Kellen, explored the littlest pet shop with Addie, nursed the baby, fed a fish, made snow cones, emailed with one of my best friends from high school for the first time in years, had dinner at Moe's because I forgot to put dinner in the oven, went to orchestra rehearsal, got home in time to tuck EB into bed, talked on the phone with my precious sister, watched tv with my hubby, blogged, repaired a purple monkey, and got a report that when Addie prayed at bedtime tonight, she thanked God that He is so great and she prayed that she would be able to have Jesus in her heart. And that's why I'm here doing what I do every day right now.
Ring my bell - chime in!
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
What did YOU do today?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Laura,
Thank you for your blog. I was already teary before I even got to read what you did all day! I am so glad we got to talk last night. I think that we're at different points in our lives, but very similar lessons apply. Lessons of patience, and God's timing, and discerning our personal wishes from what God wants for us. In the midst of trying to check a thousand things off my to-do list and figuring out how to juggle everything, my New Year's Resolution was to savor this final semester. I haven't done the best at it, but my facebook album yesterday shows part of it.
One quote (by a friend in BSU) that has gotten me through these points in my life where I struggle with what God wants for me is: "God doesn't always answer our prayers immediately, but He is always on time." Looking back, I have always been able to see why things worked out the way they did, and how God's plan is always so much better than what I ever wanted for myself.
I am so lucky to have you, Geof, Kellen, Addie, and ellary bea in my life, and I am very excited about what the future holds for you. :)
Thanks for sharing! It was a great encouragement! You're an awesome wife, mom and friend, and I know you'll be a great photographer! -Sonja
i loved this post and seeing your heart! a great reminder for me to be pleased where God has me NOW and not wishing for something else or a different time. i want to cherish this season of my life b/c i know i won't ever get it back or get to do it again. what a blessing to be a mom and i know God has many more blessings for us "moms" as we move into new phases in our lives. i know you are going to make a GREAT photographer, i already LOVE everything that you take and i'm so pleased to know you and excited about your willingness to use your talents to practice with my baby girl in the weeks to come. you will be a blessing to us for sure!!!
Post a Comment