Ring my bell - chime in!

Monday, August 4, 2008

3 weeks out

OK, how in the world did we get here already? 5 1/2 years ago I had the conversation with G: "it will be forever before this tiny baby boy goes to kindergarden." The days home with him were so long, I had no reason to believe what everyone was telling me: "before you know it he will be in kindergarden!" Well, those days home with preschoolers have been long and amazing, but somehow time has flown by and we're three weeks out from our first day of elementary school. I am usually so stoic about things - whatever happens happens, and deal with things as they come along, and there's just not much room for sentiment in my more waffle-shaped brain (yeah - G and I tend to take on opposite roles in the spaghetti and waffle analogy). But this kindergarden thing is eating me up!! I've had a stomach ache over it since we got home from vacation, and I just can't let myself think about it. I know he will be fine. He's so excited to go, and G is SO excited for him to go. I just keep worrying - what if he flips out during a fire drill? what if he has to go potty during lunch and can't figure out where to go? what if he is overwhelmed in PE (remember soccer)? what if he is so tired that he turns into a grouchy monster? Where does K get his tendency to worry? Oh yeah, that would be from me... I can worry with the best of them if I let myself go there. Anyway, no turning back. We have a week at camp grandma, then one more week to relax, then the first day of many many many many years school - that's right, we're expecting at least a master's, even if he DOES end up being a drummer and a waiter (that's his plan, except for the occasional statement that he plans to be a freeloader, living with us forever and having me park on the street so he can park his GMC truck in the driveway... - his words!).

The impetus for this post was the back-to-school shopping we did this weekend to get a backpack and the supplies from his list (can you call it back to school the very first time you do it? maybe off-to-school shopping). He is SO proud of his backpack. We went to the Lands End shop to get a sturdy backpack - I refused to give in to the request for a plastic spider man backpack that would have to be replaced mid-year. K picked through every style, trying on each one and inspecting the compartments to decide which one he liked best. He finally decided on this one, because it is the same style as his lunch box and he liked the idea that they would match. He's been telling little sister that he needs a big backpack for all the homework he'll have in kindergarden. Yesterday he and Dad filled it with tissues, hand sanitizer, glue sticks, crayons and ziploc bags. I can't WAIT to see what they make with all that!

Apparently the kids have made watercolor masterpieces in the kitchen that I must go see. More on this in 3 weeks!

1 comment:

anthonyandbeth said...

it IS a big adjustment but you BOTH are going to do GREAT!!! it will be strange at first and strange for A too to have her buddy out of the house. but, surprisingly, it will become routine and comfortable for all of you. we'll be praying for you both and that he'll just love every minute of this new adventure!!!