Ring my bell - chime in!

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Hi-Hat's Christmas

Hi-Hat's Christmas list was as follows: 1) Electric guitar 2) iphone 3)surprises. One of those items was just not going to happen, but he had convinced himself that there most certainly would be an iphone under the tree on Christmas morning. We had the kids take turns picking a present from under the tree and reading the tag to see who got to open it. So we slowly opened presents one by one. Each time it was Hi-Hat's turn to pick, he carefully looked for packages that were about the right size to contain an iphone. It was a little heartbreaking to watch his little face fall each time a gift was opened to reveal something else - puzzles, socks, books, headphones, etc. He FINALLY went for the largest package which happened to have his name on it, and suddenly things were looking up! Hi-Hat got his very own kid-sized shiny blue electric guitar, complete with amp, strap, case, stand and headphones! He's been rocking out ever since. Oh, and the sad iphone tale has a somewhat humorous ending. In addition to drums and guitars, Hi-Hat is obsessed with traffic cones. He has a few and treats them as prized possessions (gotta love preschoolers). One of the last things he opened was a new traffic cone, this one with the letter "i" on it. He seemed puzzled. So I explained that Santa must have gotten confused this year when Hi-Hat read him his list. He thought Hi-Hat said "i-CONE," not i-phone (this was my brilliant idea the night before and I thought it would either go over really well or be a huge disaster). Hi-Hat bought it and thought that was pretty funny and quite acceptable. He's been proudly showing off his new i-cone to everyone he's seen since yesterday. The mind of a preschooler's mother must always be in overdrive!


Hi-Hat with his new electric guitar and trying out his new gig bag


On Christmas night we had our 3rd annual breakfast-for-Christmas-dinner with our 2 neighbors and their children. It was really fun! I think Hi-Hat had the best time as Mr. Chris (a drummer) and Mr. Joe (a keyboardist (is that a word?) also known as BlipFool) agreed to have a little jam session with Hi-Hat in his room. So Hi-Hat had a real band going and I think they were quite good! I really appreciated the guys indulging him, and I think it totally made his day. I'll post a video from their jam session in a few days.

No comments: