Ring my bell - chime in!

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

For the love of books

So I've always seen myself in Hi-Hat. We're a lot alike. This year in first grade his reading has just skyrocketed. It's favor has even surpassed drumming. If you're ever wondering where he is, just check the couch or his bed or his "office" and you'll find him curled up with a book. He loves goofy chapter books, and right now he's loving the Roscoe Riley series. I'm a little torn over what to do about his night time reading. It's 10:41, and he's still not able to fall asleep, and he's reading "just one more chapter." The mom in me wants him to read one chapter and then go right to sleep. The person in me who can totally relate to him thinks he should just read and read until he falls asleep. I remember being a kid reading into the wee hours of the night, and I still read for about an hour before falling asleep. He's sometimes reading 2 chapter books each night. He's always been a night owl, so I think for now I'll go along with it and let him blossom with his new found skill. As he said with a sweet smile to me tonight, "Mom, I love reading. It's really fun. It's funner than TV."

No comments: