Ring my bell - chime in!
Thursday, February 5, 2009
Fancy Feet
OK. My posts have seemed a little disjointed lately - just haven't had much time to sit at the computer these days. More about the dance class: Today was Fancy's first dance class. She's taking a combination ballet and tap class at a dance studio right around the corner. She's been begging to take dance for a while, but I have resisted. I'm not sure why. You'd think that after taking dance for 15 or so years myself, I would have had her signed up at birth. But maybe that's precisely the reason I haven't. I have fond memories of my ballet days, but those were long days and weeks, with every afternoon spent at the studio - the cadence of the piano, the instructor's heavy stick pounding on the floor, the blisters, the pain of extension, and on and on and on. But she so badly wants to do it that I called this week and signed her up. She was THRILLED, though thrilled barely begins to describe it. She was absolutely precious dressed in her pink tights, black leotard (with rhinestones, which I was sure would be a no-no but she insisted - scandalous!), and her "Tinkerbell" bun. It was actually really fun getting her dressed, finding her a ballet bag to use, slipping on new leather slippers, and pinning up her hair. She waited and danced around the foyer for almost an hour after school until it was finally time to leave. I had no idea what to expect when we got there, but it all seemed very familiar once we did! OK, and I have to say, Fancy was THE cutest little dancer there. She was the only one in regulation dance attire, complete with bun, and if I have anything to say about it, she will continue to do so (rhinestones notwithstanding)! I tried not to watch through the window too much, though it was hard to stay away! When I did peek in she seemed to be getting the steps and she was always smiling. Being there brought back all these memories. The studio was my comfort zone for so long, and it was just surreal to see my daughter have her very first day of dance and be watching from the outside. I got so caught up in it and I almost wish we had started her sooner! She loved it and it was fun to see her start doing something that was such a big part of my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
she looks adorable and i'm so glad she had so much fun! i always wanted to take dance growing up but grew up in an environment where dance was "bad". by the time my parents got over that and realized the silliness of their ways, I was too old! my coordination has suffered as a result! :) i hope my little girly girl will be girly enough to want to try out dance. oh how much fun i would have watching her. how fun for your little miss fancy to be following in your footsteps and loving every minute of it! :) did your mom save any of your dance stuff for her??? :)
She looks soooo cute. I can't wait to our little girl to get dressed up in tights with a bun!
So cute!!! Love it. I tagged you on my blog! I'm sorry!!
Fancy is a perfect name for her. Love it.
Post a Comment