Ring my bell - chime in!

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I can hear myself think

It's too quiet around here today. It's the first official day of school, and it's different that past years with 2 kids in preschool now that I have watched my big guy walk himself through the big doors of elementary school - without me. I left the middle one in her 4-year-old preschool room (where the OLDEST kids in the school are, Mommy!), just standing there in the middle of her room taking it all in - her beloved friends, the princess dresses waiting to be put on, her name on the wall, a table full of markers - with the biggest grin on her face. Totally in her element. The little one is tucked in bed for her morning nap. Now what?


Just needed to post for myself that this is all ok - a big change but the right change. I often feel like I'm too hard on myself that we chose not to homeschool, even though I KNOW that homeschooling is not for me right now. We feel strongly that our kids give public schools a try, that there need to be strong Christian families in the schools, and that we are sending in some shining lights. But as K stood outside the car and started to cry because he wasn't sure where to go, I again questioned myself, not necessarily because I wanted to bring him back home and keep him from feeling sad, but because he's my little guy and he has to take care of himself a little bit now. This experience will be so good for him and I'm excited about all that he will learn this year, but even though the size of his clothes tell me differently, he's still my little little guy and it's just hard to send him in. Thank goodness for the nice teacher outside the carpool lane who quickly put an arm around his shoulders and walked him into the school.

So now what? I'm home in case they need me, and I have projects out the yin yang. A little distraction can't hurt, and will certainly do the fingernails some good as they can't possibly be bitten any closer to the quick! You could just say a little prayer that there are no firedrills at school today. That drama will be a post for another day.

5 comments:

Heather said...

i never knew you were ever considering homeschooling! just thought the debate was public vs. private school. just think...we all went to public school and turned out fine! i'm sure K will be great and adjust in no time...as for the homeschooling...you'll know what is right for your family in no time:)!

anthonyandbeth said...

we have held the same view of school as you and while we are taking each year at a time. seems to be all i can handle at a time. it's hard to send these little guys out into the world but he will be a shining light and you will have some great opportunities to teach him to look for ways to show others Jesus in his life. i still don't know what the future holds as far as "school" for our family but i believe H is where he is supposed to be right now, he's happy, and learning and growing a ton. K will do the same and it will be a growing time for all of you! it's so hard to see these little ones grow up. i wish i could put life in slow motion mode sometimes. our A is going to be in school before i know it and i will surely be a complete mess by then!!!! :)

Sherri said...

Schooling! AAAAHRRRCKKK!
It's encouraging to read this - really - I'm seeing God give you peace. I think God calls each family differently and gives each family a unique ministry. As for what we're going to do - I'm still seeking Him b/c I have NO CLUE! Pros and cons come with any choice. The key is what is HIS plan for your family - and you seem to know that answer.

Janet said...

Oh my goodness! Girl....you need to go get yourself some chocolate or do all the things us homeschoolers find difficult to do. Go to the mall with just ONE child, meet a friend for lunch, tackle your projects, watch Regis and Kelli, meet your husband for lunch, etc. etc.

Unless the local news is lying....it still appears that public school is a hugely popular choice and that us homeschoolers are the "odd balls". :)

K and A are going to have a fabulous year and you are going to have a fabulous year!

When our two little neighbor girls get home from school....I'm out the door before the mother is cause I can't wait to see all the fun papers they did in school.

I'll pray that this is the best year of your family's life! School is exciting.....and I also CAN'T wait to see how God is going to bless your new business this year!

Ashley said...

Be glad Kellen is not at my school... we have already had 3 drills! And 2 this week (one yesterday, one today).

Another thing I have noticed about my school is that a lot of teachers go to church... I figured this out b/c they have been asking me how I've adjusted to moving, and I talk about finding a church, and they recommend theirs. And even though they can't tell this to students, they are really good people modeling appropriate behavior, and they are really good teachers! :)