Ring my bell - chime in!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

More on the Wheat

This is Laura, back on the blog and wanting to share just a little more about WHY we are doing the wheat project.  First, I want to note that we are not sharing about this new way of eating because we think it's best for you, dear reader, and that it's a one-size-fits-all approach to eating.  I believe everyone should make his or her own decisions regarding the resources they have, and while this seems like a very beneficial way to eat, we are not out to push it on anyone.  This is just what's working within our family right now, and it's been so important to us these last few weeks that we wanted to share it.

For well over a year, we have been struggling with digestive health issues with our youngest child.  It has been a wearing struggle and we have felt defeated over and over and over again, trying to move this child from diapers.  We have gone through cycle after cycle of constipation and medication, and the same general advice we were being given was not working.  Not one bit.  I was feeling desperate, because as a mom, I want to be able to fix and control  things in the life of my children that are not working.  These health issues were not something I could control or fix.  There have been days we could not leave the house because her situation was so bad.  During my ladies Bible study this year, I have been lifting my daughter up over and over for healing and wisdom for some solution.  I have literally been brought to my knees at times, begging for healing and answers.  God answered me in many ways.

He did not provide immediate healing or resolution - instead He is refining me to be more patient.  He used this season of life to show me treasures He has to offer me in His Word and through prayerful relationship. He put Godly friends in my path at the precise moments I needed them to be there.  I gave the problem over to Him, and almost immediately He is taking care of it.  A couple of instances stick out to me.

A little over a month ago at orchestra rehearsal (I am part of our church's orchestra), we were in the middle of rehearsing a song counting measures when a fellow flautist blurted out, "we are milling our own wheat now."  I kind of gave a, "oh, that's interesting, but what in the world are you talking about?" response, and then had to go back to counting measures.  We really didn't talk much about it that night other than her giving me a little bit of background on why they were making their own wheat products and a web site I should look up.  I told Geof about it that night, and within a day or so we were convinced that this was something we really needed to try.  I believe 100% that HB's mention of milling wheat was inspired by God.  She has told me that she has no idea why she blurted it out, but we both now believe it was an answer to many prayers that have been lifted up.  I am so grateful that God used her that way.

Around the same time that we started looking into the wheat, a sweet friend encouraged me to pray specifically for my daughter's issues.  Not a general prayer for healing and patience and wisdom, but prayers for nerves to be restored, for sphincters to be healed, for my daughter to have a desire to take control her her body; for her to make it "clean and dry" through preschool hours, and for her to be encouraged by specific peers who are trained.  I prayed specifically for her at specific times of the day and she and I prayed together for her body parts.  Now that she is experiencing healing, this little one understands that the healing has come from God because we can see that specific prayers were answered!  She sees that God is real and in our lives and that He wants us to share our everyday struggles and successes with Him.

Suffice it to say that within a few short weeks of specifically praying and adopting a new way of eating, my daughter's digestive issues are almost gone.  It seems there has been a healing of her system, her body parts AND of her desire to take control.  It has completely changed our daily life with her.  I want to emphasize that wheat and bread and gluten and honey and flax seed and yeast are NOT the focus of our daily lives around here.  I believe they have been used by God in our lives to bring us out of a desperate situation, and I just want to give Him the praise and glory for it, not the loaf of bread.  If anything, I feel like this whole experience has brought God more into the center of our household as we listen more intently for His will and we accept His endless offers of grace and healing.

My take away from all this?  We will continue to eat this way because we feel led to do it.  For now, it has been the answer for healing our daughter.  If you are experiencing any sort of struggle in your life, give it over to God.  Prayerfully seek a solution and listen for God's answer - be specific, because God is always specific! Get into His Word.  The answer may not be what you expect or even want to hear, but it is worth listening to if it comes from God.  It is within His plan for you and His will for your life.

And you can be sure the next time I sit down at the table to a slice of Geof's whole wheat bread, I will certainly be thanking God for it.

4 comments:

Leah said...

I love reading about others who have been "healed" by our God through fresh milled flour. Something so simple is hard to believe! We have had huge health improvements as well. Friends have been healed from ulcers, eczema, sinus infections, etc. Its amazing what the pure vitamins can do! Praise God for healing!

Rachel said...

This is so encouraging. Such a great picture of the Lord's faithfulness. Praise the Lord that the situation has improved greatly, all the while drawing your family closer to Him! Thank you for sharing.

anthonyandbeth said...

This made me tear up! I know how you have longed for an answer and solution and I love how God did it. I love how He has drawn you to Himself as you have sought that answer. I can remember that specific conversation on specific and intentional prayer and I don't think I will forget it and that God chose to show Himself so great and powerful so quickly gets me excited and more determined to keep asking! He truly cares about these little details that really aren't so little after all! He's building your faith, your family's faith and the faith of your little children. That's exciting to me :-).

Sherri said...

I loved everything about this post. Rejoicing with you!!!

Sherri

PS - The idea of grinding our own wheat has been "milling" around my head for YEARS.