So I really have no idea who reads my blog. It might only be my mother in law! :) But if you do happen to read this and you do happen to have small children, here are 2 questions for you.
1. Where do you shop for shoes for your kids? Bonus points if you can tell me where you successfully find shoes for multiple children at the same store. And if you tell me to go to Stride Rite you're disqualified (like there's a prize or anything - I'm not that kind of blog, folks). Stride Rite has a store policy that they make me wait for about an hour to be fitted, and then they only stock shoes 1 size up or down from what our kids currently wear. Unless they are ugly styles. And even more bonus points if you will pick up my three kids and take them shoe shopping for me at your favorite children's shoe shop, because if I have to go to one more shoe store, I just might lose my mind!
2. How do you make long car rides fun and interesting and keep noise/bickering/"don't make me pull this car off the road"s to a minimum? Bonus points if you have ANY other answer than DVD player. I'm looking for about 12 hours of activity here.

'Cause my monkeys are going on a very long car trip to a place where they need to have good shoes!


8 comments:
Tabatha F. gives her three active boys their own scotch tape and it entertains them for hours. She did that this past summer for a very long car trip where her husband could not come.
I thought this was awesome!
I am seeking a prize though. :)
the tape sounds like fun. i read your blog. :) a lot of times i get the boys shoes at Kohl's. they usually have a good selection of many different kinds of shoes and often there are sales/coupons out there. i just bought Harrison two pair last weekend there.
i've used the color wonder books for trips before. new ones, that they haven't colored and they all get their own set of markers. K & A might be old enough to do some car games. we used to have little travel size games that would keep us entertained well when we were kids (travel size connect four and stuff like that) and actually guess who would work well in a car setting.
i wouldn't rule out the DVD for the entire 12 hours though...gotta have lots of options...right??? :) whenever we go on a long trip i always get a new movie that they have never seen before b/c then it's so exciting. most recently we got Homeward Bound and the kids LOVED it. i saw a lot of good classic movies at Sam's club the other week...Pete's Dragon is out. am i a lame friend b/c i mentioned the DVD. i at least gave some other things to do too. :)
I read your blog!
We buy the kids shoes at REI. Typically Keen sandals (the same ones your kids wear). I think those would be perfect for that special place you're going. You can order them online if you know sizes and they have free delivery to the local store.
As for long car rides? BOOKS ON CD. They so rock.
I read your blog!
1. Mobley's.....very personal attention. They HAVE Stride Rite, but they are NOT "Stride Rite". They have all kinds of shoes & they are not all insanely expensive. They keep track of your purchases, sizes, etc. Very friendly. Let me know if you need to know where they are.
2. Benadryl.
3. Just kidding about #2. (Or am I?) Seriously....cookie sheets and magnets. Letter magnets, word poetry magnets for K maybe, paper doll magnet puzzle things for the girls maybe? This http://makinglearningfun.com/themepages/ActivitiesListing.htm#M_ website has all kinds of magnet pages you can print off. And of course check out http://www.momsminivan.com/
You could also print out info (coloring sheets, fact sheets, word searches, etc.) for each state you'll be going through. enchantedlearning.com has all the states.
loved the ideas from Kristin! very cool.
1. Saxons in Richmond. Geof will have to do some side jobs.
2. Your mother-in-law did read it. Take me along and I will entertain everybody for 10 hours.
Ha! Ha! Just kidding!!
Love the pictures - great cake.
About shoes, I won't be helpful at all, as we normally look for as much as we can at local thrift stores and you can't be assured they will have what you need, but when they do it is wonderful!
Regarding car trips, I do what my mom always did for us three girls. I wrap little "presents" to open at various stages. "Presents" is in quotes because I seldom buy stuff. I wrap up containers of snacks or pull out specifically loved toys/stuffed animals/games and wrap them in used wrapping paper.
It helped get us to Kalona, Iowa and back and is fun and the opening takes time as well as the activity/food inside. I start putting clues on the outside too for added entertainment.
The newest fun thing in the car with Kali getting a bit older is games - like "I'm going on a trip with" and using letters of the alphabet and seeing if you can remember all 26 things at the end. Or trying to find license plates of all the states. Or playing the ABC game on signs outside the car.
Hope the trip goes well!
Post a Comment