WARNING!!!! If you do not like things that might be classified as creepy-crawly, you might want to forego reading this post. And by creepy-crawly I mean things with lots of legs, bushy tails, or start with "sn" and end in "akes."
[this space left blank for the faint at heart who don't want to risk seeing the pictures, which really aren't that yucky anyway]
This weekend was Fancy's end of the year cookout with her preschool class. This has been such a great group of kids, and most of them have been together in preschool since they were 2 years old! What fun to watch them grow. I'm about to break out into song here - "Let them be little..." Good thing you can't hear me sing. Anyway, the cookout. I'm not posting pictures of the kids. The kids were kids - same old same old. Monkey bars, slides, hot dogs, sand, bubbles, etc. However, I encountered some rather interesting wild life at this event. First, Fancy found this:

I have no idea what it is, but it must be some sort of -pede with all those legs. It was about 3 inches long. I'm hoping that since I pointed it out to her and told her she could pick it up it is not a dangerous creature. Who knows. Really, what was I thinking? But if you can get past all the legs, see his little head? I think he's kinda cute!
Next we went for a walk down to the water. I spotted something flashing in the water. Oh, it's a fish! Wait, something doesn't look right. How is it swimming along the surface like that? Oh, it's more than a fish. It's a poor little fish caught in the mouth of a water moccasin heading right toward the shore 5 feet from where we are standing. Look kids! Let's watch. Let's move closer. Accompanying smart mommy with some sense decides we need to get out of there so as not to upset said snake. But I want pictures! Again, what was I thinking? This one is not so cute, but at least I got my picture (and can I just say that we were on a small bridge near these rocks, and according to Bill Cosby, snakes can't climb stairs - it's a scientific fact, says Theo - so certainly they can't climb small bridges!).

Dinner and dessert. Uneventful. Lots of yummy leftover dessert to take home. We're cleaning up and notice a squirrel hanging around. He jumps on the table and starts eating some crumbs. Cute!
Wait! What do you think you're doing Mr. Squirrel?






3 comments:
Ewwww!!! You warned me...but I still looked!
Isn't that a copperhead?!?
I loved the squirrel pictures. That really took the cake!
:)
maybe so - I know NOTHING about snakes, despite gazing at the snake exhibits at the science museum 100s of times. I was just going by what the sensible mom said. I guess she assumed water moccasin since it was swimming.
Okay. NEXT time, snake = RUN!!!!!
Post a Comment