. . . of the aperture and shutter speed variety, that is! Hi-Hat is a Cub Scout this year, and this week he has started working toward earning belt loops - rewards for learning about different subjects. He and Geof looked over the list this week, and it turns out he already had a number of belt loops under his belt (horseback riding, thanks to the horse birthday party last weekend), ping pong (thanks to the ping pong table that is parked in our garage), and computers. He's also working on a reading/writing loop and tomorrow he'll earn a bowling loop. Today I had already planned to go on a photo walk with some ladies from church, so it was the perfect opportunity for me to teach Hi-Hat some of the photography basics he needed. Armed with our DSLR cameras, we hit the ground at NC State. He learned all about aperture and shutter speed and how they work together. We practiced taking photos with blurred motion, stopped motion, short depth of field and long depth of field. We over exposed and under exposed. We zoomed in and zoomed way out. He loved it! I loved it, too. We never once set the camera on Auto, and he was pretty quick to start figuring out how to change the camera's aperture or shutter speed settings. I think it will be fun to keep working with him, even after the belt loop has long since been earned. And what I loved most was just investing the time together - talking, learning and having some fun. I'm so glad I didn't sell my little DSLR!






No comments:
Post a Comment